Confinement Officer Application Process
Requirements and Disqualifiers include:
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Possess a valid driver’s license or be able to obtain an Indiana driver’s license prior to employment.
- No felony convictions.
- High school diploma or GED
- No convictions* for hate crimes.
- No convictions* for domestic violence.
- No dishonorable discharges from any branch of military service.
- Applicants who have tattoos on their arms that would be visible when wearing a short sleeve shirt or uniform shirt SHALL be required to wear a long sleeve shirt or uniform shirt, if hired. Other coverings, including those coverings designed specifically for tattoos, shall not be permitted. Tattoos on the exposed areas of the neck, face/head or hands shall be a disqualifier for employment. It is also understood that certain tattoos may be related to hate speech, gang activity or subversive groups. It shall always be the policy of the Vanderburgh County Sheriff’s Office (VCSO) that any conduct or affiliations that would otherwise disqualify a person from employment or continued employment shall remain in full force and effect.
NOTE: The tattoo exception for civilian employment shall not extend to the position of deputy sheriff. This includes civilian employees of the VCSO who wish to apply for deputy sheriff but who have a visible tattoo in a short sleeve uniform. Such visible tattoos shall remain as a disqualifier for the position of deputy sheriff: NO EXCEPTIONS.
- No more than five (5) traffic violations in the past five (5) years (does not include parking tickets).
- No illegal/unlawful use of drugs within the past two (2) years.
- Permanently disqualified from employment if ever engaged in the sale, dealing, or manufacture of controlled substances.
- May not have a conviction* for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs in the past two (2) years and no more than one (1) conviction* in a lifetime.
- Confinement Officer Applicants: Must provide proof of registration for selective service (applicable under Federal law to males under the age of 26 years of age).
- Confinement Officer Applicants: Pass a post-offer of employment medical examination (including vision and hearing exams), drug screen, and psychological interview.
- Confinement Officer Applicants (and other positions as required): Pass a post-offer of employment background investigation, which includes: fingerprinting; photographing; criminal records checks; interviews with family, references, neighbors and past and present employers; credit history check and a lie detector examination.
- Must live in Vanderburgh County Indiana or a contiguous Indiana County. If not, must agree to relocate to Vanderburgh County Indiana or a contiguous Indiana County within six (6) months after employment.
- Confinement Officer Applicants: Meet and successfully pass all academic, practical, physical training and retention requirements of the Vanderburgh County Sheriff’s Office and the Indiana Law Enforcement Training Board. Other positions may also require specific training standards.
- Possess the skills, knowledge and abilities required of the position for which you applied, which includes, but is not limited to, a positive attitude, good communication skills, respect for the law, respect for your fellow citizens and respect for your colleagues.
NOTE: Where indicated with an “*”, the term “conviction” shall include the amendment of a criminal charge (driving under the influence-DUI, etc.) to some other offense as a result of the completion of any type of deferral program. Compliance with the above listed disqualifiers and requirements will be verified through a background investigation, which includes a lie-detector exam, for those applicants that advance to the conditional offer stage of the selection process.
For more information about the testing process, you may call the Sheriff's Administrative Division at 421-6203, Monday through Friday between 8AM and 4PM.
The benefits provided to employees include, but are not limited to:
- Opportunity to serve in a professional, career-oriented organization
- 2017 base wage of $16.02 per hour with an increase to $17.83 after one year.
- Pay increases every 5 years up to 20 years of service.
- Annual clothing allowance of $1000
- Shift differential of 3.5% of gross pay for second and third shifts.
- Paid leave including vacation days, personal days and sick days.
- Teamster provided health care (including medical, dental and vision insurance at no cost).
- Paid life insurance
- P.E.R.F. (Public Employees Retirement Fund)
- Option to participate in a deferred compensation savings program
- Access to a fully equipped agency-owned fitness center
- Corporate membership rates at the Y.M.C.A. and Bob's Gym
- Collective bargaining by Teamsters Local 215